This peaceful town in the midst of blue-green lakes is a blend of rural and suburban charm. One of the most prestigious places to live in all of Florida, Windermere is a serene, leafy retreat, with a real downtown, tree-lined streets, and beautiful luxury homes in gated enclaves.
Windermere has long been the community of choice of discerning homebuyers for many reasons:
- The location is simply unbeatable
The town’s motto, “Among the Lakes,” perfectly describes its idyllic location on an isthmus with lakes on virtually all sides. Part of the Butler Chain of Lakes, these include Lake Butler, Lake Down, and Lake Bessie.
Orlando is just 30 minutes away, but Windermere feels far removed from it. The town’s rural feel is bolstered by its lush, verdant waterfront setting, as well as dirt roads and roundabouts that discourage cut-through traffic. Enjoy peace and privacy with great shopping and dining, entertainment, and Central Florida’s outstanding attractions within easy reach.
- It’s brimming over with historic charm
Believed to be named after England’s largest lake and the eponymous town near its shores, Windermere was first settled by English settlers, one of whom – John Dawe – laid out the town in 1887. Incorporated in 1925, Windermere has managed to keep its past alive and is home to several buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
These are the 1890 Windermere School, the Cal Palmer Memorial Building, and the Windermere Town Hall.
- It’s a main street kind of town
Windermere’s top priority has always been preserving its natural setting, hence the dirt roads and primarily residential character. The town does have a downtown area, however, and the charming Windermere Business District is populated by independently owned shops and restaurants such as Dixie Cream Café, Tim’s Wine Market, and boutiques like Stitch Stitch & Arrow.
Every Friday, the downtown area also plays host to the Windermere Farmer’s Market.
Windermere Homes for Sale
Windermere has some of the most luxurious homes and estates in Central Florida.
The housing market is composed primarily of single-family homes and there are also a few vacant lots available. You will still find homes in the $500,000 price range in or near downtown, while waterfront properties and homes in gated communities typically command the highest prices (seven figures and up).
Architectural styles are diverse, from Tuscan, Mediterranean and Spanish Revival to Art Moderne and contemporary.
The Windermere area is home to some of the most sought-after developments in the region. These include:
- Isleworth – Famous for having been home to quite a few celebrities and captains of industry, the community encompasses 600 acres and includes a renowned 18-hole Arnold Palmer golf course.
- Keene’s Pointe – The development has over a dozen distinct villages and offers a variety of luxury golf and waterfront residences. It’s home to a Jack Nicklaus Signature Course at The Golden Bear Club.
- The Reserve at Belmere – Located on Lake Whitney, this guard-gated community also has waterfront properties and its amenities include a clubhouse, tennis courts, open spaces, and more.
- Lake Butler Sound – Extending across 380 acres, the community features custom-built luxury residences ranging from comfortable family homes to sprawling estates.
Find Windermere homes today. Check the Featured Properties page and browse the advanced MLS search for currently available properties.
Get in touch with Mike Mondello today at 407.760.5174 for more information.
Homes for Sale in Windermere fl
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.